Mysuru, July 13:- “Maths lab is essential. The application of maths theoretical knowledge through practical takes a student’s knowledge beyond the curriculum. It is also necessary to look for real-life applications,” said Prof D Soner Nandappa, chairman, Department of Studies in Mathematics, UoM.
He delivered the keynote address at the university level workshop – Mathematics Practical-III (CBCS) organised by the Department of Mathematics, SBRR Mahajana First Grade College in coordination with IQAC (Internal Quality Assurance Cell).
The workshop was organised to prepare a manual for students in the practical part of the mathematics curriculum. The one-day workshop was inaugurated by Dr Vijayalakashmi Muralidhar, honorary secretary, Mahajana Education Society.
Dr SR Ramesh, chief executive officer and academic advisor, stressed the importance of practicals. He said, ‘Without practicals, there is no science. Maths is ‘Queen of Science.’ There is a lot of maths in our daily life. Numbers greater or smaller than expected is dangerous, he added, drawing the attention of the audience to the pathology lab reports. Mathematics without application is Zero, Prof Ramesh added.
Dr S Venkataramu, principal, was present on the occasion. Head of the Department of Mathematics Dr Sumathi M P. welcomed the gathering. Niranjan, faculty proposed vote of thanks. Poornima, faculty, Department of Physics, was the master of the ceremony. BSc student Narayan, rendered the invocation. Around 100 faculty members from various degree colleges across the University of Mysore participated in the workshop. Dr Guruprasad PS, Darshan A, Tejas NS were the resource persons at the technical sessions. (MR)
Leave a Reply
- Jamaican students to participate in OECD survey – Jamaica Observer
- Women who don’t know how to cook don’t know mathematics – MP – GhanaWeb
- UC Irvine algorithm solves Rubik’s Cube in just 1 second – University of California
- Scientists create Ramanujan Machine: what’s it for, why name it after him? – The Indian Express
- Migrant students immersed in engineering – Foothills Sun Gazette
- How bad is the gender diversity crisis in AI research? Study analysing 1.5million arxiv papers says it’s “serious” – Packt Hub
- For the perfect martini, thank fluid mechanics – The Science Show – ABC News
- A mathematics whizz – Midrand Reporter
- Shakuntala Devi: Numero Uno in Math Wizardry – Hindustan Times
- US-settled siblings keen to teach Madurai students math for free – Times of India