Mysuru, July 13:- “Maths lab is essential. The application of maths theoretical knowledge through practical takes a student’s knowledge beyond the curriculum. It is also necessary to look for real-life applications,” said Prof D Soner Nandappa, chairman, Department of Studies in Mathematics, UoM.
He delivered the keynote address at the university level workshop – Mathematics Practical-III (CBCS) organised by the Department of Mathematics, SBRR Mahajana First Grade College in coordination with IQAC (Internal Quality Assurance Cell).
The workshop was organised to prepare a manual for students in the practical part of the mathematics curriculum. The one-day workshop was inaugurated by Dr Vijayalakashmi Muralidhar, honorary secretary, Mahajana Education Society.
Dr SR Ramesh, chief executive officer and academic advisor, stressed the importance of practicals. He said, ‘Without practicals, there is no science. Maths is ‘Queen of Science.’ There is a lot of maths in our daily life. Numbers greater or smaller than expected is dangerous, he added, drawing the attention of the audience to the pathology lab reports. Mathematics without application is Zero, Prof Ramesh added.
Dr S Venkataramu, principal, was present on the occasion. Head of the Department of Mathematics Dr Sumathi M P. welcomed the gathering. Niranjan, faculty proposed vote of thanks. Poornima, faculty, Department of Physics, was the master of the ceremony. BSc student Narayan, rendered the invocation. Around 100 faculty members from various degree colleges across the University of Mysore participated in the workshop. Dr Guruprasad PS, Darshan A, Tejas NS were the resource persons at the technical sessions. (MR)
Leave a Reply
- Picture this: ICERM program explores imagery of mathematics – Mirage News
- Guyanese students win top CAPE, CSEC awards – Stabroek News
- Science Hill student scores perfect 36 on ACT, looks to future in mathematics – Johnson City Press (subscription)
- Assistant Professor in Theoretical Particle Physics job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 183584 – Times Higher Education (THE)
- A math problem: How Delhi government is trying to get students to learn this subject better – The Indian Express
- CBSE Class 10 Mathematics-Basic Sample Question Paper 2020 with Solution – Jagran Josh
- Stock In The Spotlight :: PagSeguro Digital Ltd., (NYSE: PAGS) – Keep Reading
- Love Or Hate:: Clovis Oncology, Inc., (NASDAQ: CLVS) – Keep Reading
- Present Valuation:: New Residential Investment Corp., (NYSE: NRZ) – Keep Reading
- Shocking Alteration:: Workday, Inc., (NASDAQ: WDAY) – Keep Reading