|Definition: Let $P_1$, $P_2$, …, $P_n$ be a collection of statements which we will call Premises and let $Q$ be a statement which we will call a Conclusion. Then an Argument is a formula of the form $(P_1 \wedge P_2 \wedge … \wedge P_n) \rightarrow Q$. The argument is said to be a Valid Argument if under the assumption that $P_1$, $P_2$, …, $P_n$ are true we get that $Q$ is true. If this is a valid argument, we say that the conclusion $Q$ is Deduced or Inferred from the premises $P_1$, $P_2$, …, $P_n$.|
For example, let $P$, $Q$, and $R$ be the following statements:
- $P_1$: If Bob does his homework then he will get time to hang out with his friends.
- $P_2$: If Bob doesn’t play video games then Bob will do his homework.
- $P_3$ Bob does not have time to hang out with his friends.
The three statements above can be broken down. Let $P$, $Q$, and $R$ denote the statements:
- $P$: Bob does his homework.
- $Q$ Bob hangs out with his friends.
- $R$: Bob plays video games.
Then the statements $P_1$, $P_2$, and $P_3$ are given by:
Consider the following argument:
We want to determine if this argument is valid or not. We construct the truth table:
|$P$||$Q$||$R$||$\neg Q$||$\neg R$||$P \rightarrow Q$||$\neg R \rightarrow P$||$\neg Q$||$(P_1 \wedge P_2 \wedge P_3) \rightarrow R$|
We can see that $(P_1 \wedge P_2 \wedge P_3) \rightarrow R$ is a tautology. So this argument is valid.
- New building marks new era for college at AU – The Augusta Chronicle
- Schools in Bihar to teach Vedic maths – Hindustan Times
- Grade Nine learners taught mathematics skills – Tembisan
- Vantage teacher receives state award – Defiance Crescent News
- First Year Investment of Ontario’s Four-Year Math Strategy Announced – Wawa-news.com
- New Algorithm Boosts the Power Extracted From Existing Solar Panels – SciTechDaily
- New Student Enrollment Up for 3rd Straight Year – NC State College of Education
- Hamilton Welcomes New Faculty for 2019-20 – News – Hamilton College News
- Missouri State receives National Science Foundation grant to promote gender equity – News – Missouri State News
- Local MAAP numbers reported by Mississippi Department of Education – Delta Democrat Times