Congratulations to five students from the Department of Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) who bagged several awards and received honourable mentions at the 1st Xiamen Malaysia University Mathematics (XMUM) Competition Prize Giving Ceremony held in Sunsuria City, Sepang on 21 July 2019.
- Silver Award: Wong Guan Louk ( Year 3, BSc. Mathematics)
- Bronze Award: Phoon Jia Wei (Year 2, BSc. Industrial Mathematics)
- Bronze Award: Wong Mun Long (Year 2, BSc. Industrial Mathematics)
- Honourable Mention: Loh Wei Kit (Year 1, BSc. Mathematics)
- Honourable Mention: Wong Ying Beng (Year 1, BSc. Mathematics)
More than 200 students from various local universities and secondary schools took part in the XMUM 2019. The competition was held a month earlier on the 23 June 2019 at Xiamen Malaysia University campus. UTM delegation to the competition included eleven students from the Department of Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science accompanied by Prof. Dr. Ali Hassan Mohamed Murid and senior lecturer, Dr. Norhaiza Ahmad. These students were selected to compete based on their screening test and training sessions performance conducted in UTM.
In preparation for this competition, the students had undergone a series of training, under the tutelage of trainers: Prof. Dr. Ali Hassan Mohamed Murid, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mukhiddin Muminov, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nor Muhainiah Mohd Ali, Dr. Fong Wan Heng and Dr. Hang See Pheng. The training classes were set daily for 1-2 hours after 5 pm, starting from 8 April to 9 May 2019.
This 1st XMUM 2019 was organized by the Faculty of Mathematics & Applied Mathematics at Xiamen Malaysia University. The four-hour exam covered first year undergraduate mathematics curriculum such as calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, complex numbers, probability and statistics. The questions were of mathematical Olympiad standards and can be quite challenging.
UTM delegates for the 1st XMUM 2019 was financially supported by the Faculty of Science, UTM. We also thank XMUM organisers for providing breakfast and lunch on the day of the competition.
Further reading at https://science.utm.my/mathematics/
- FHSU fills need for teachers in rural areas – Hays Post
- Cabinet throwing up some odd ideas – Bangkok Post
- JEE Main Exam 2020 application process begins next week, everything you need to know – Hindustan Times
- A Library Browse Leads Math’s Bill Dunham to Question the Origins of the Möbius Function – Bryn Mawr Now
- Women Seen as Vital as Science Advances – All China Women’s Federation – Women of China
- Hard work pays off for Cardinal Newman students on GCSE results day – Brighton and Hove News
- 5 places to take your class for a Maths-themed trip – School Travel Organiser
- Mathematics Software Market SWOT Analysis of Top Key Player & Forecasts To 2025 – Tribaux
- ‘We are in a math crisis’ – Samuda laments poor performance in subject area, calls on retired teachers to help – Jamaica Gleaner
- Shape-shifting sheets | Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences – Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences