Two Athens County educators have been named Southeast Division Teacher of the Year by the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Colleen Ulbrich, math teacher at The Plains Elementary, was named Southeast District elementary award winner. Molly Mirgon, of Nelsonville-York City Schools, was named the Southeast District middle school award winner.
Each year, the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics recognizes outstanding teachers, professors, emerging leaders and friends of mathematics. Teachers can be nominated by a colleague, administrator, student or parent. An outstanding elementary, middle and high school teacher is selected from each of the eight districts based on their philosophy on how students learn mathematics, their participation in professional development and organizations, as well as their leadership roles.
This year more than 120 classroom teachers were nominated for the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics Teacher Awards. The award winners were honored at the annual OCTM Conference in Sandusky on Thursday, Oct. 24.
- Mathematicians Have Discovered an Entirely New Way to Multiply Large Numbers – ScienceAlert
- S’wak to start teaching Science and Maths in English for Year 1 pupils – The Star Online
- #MathsWeek – Demand for DCU’s MSc in Financial Mathematics set to increase thanks to buoyant Irish economy – Dublin City University
- Students and faculty protest for math building replacement – Ubyssey Online
- GlaxoSmith Kline (GSK): Seeking AI and ML experts for data-driven drug discovery and development – Science Magazine
- Illinois Has 14 Newsweek Best STEM High Schools In 2019 – Patch.com
- Chika Ofili: 12-year-old Nigerian awarded for making mathematics easy to learn – Pulse Ghana
- The Mathematics of Malice: Why Hate Crime Stats Can’t Be Trusted – 5280 | The Denver Magazine
- Olney Junior High takes first place at TMSCA meet – Olney Enterprise
- Veteran mathematics teacher Ruth Moonesinghe announces retirement – Tiger Newspaper