Dipa Sarkar-Dey, Ph.D., associate professor emerita of mathematics and statistics, is making an endowed gift to Loyola University Maryland to create the Choudhury Sarkar-Dey Fund.
The fund will help create the Choudhury Sarkar-Dey Medal, which will come with a $500 cash prize for a rising senior who is studying in the natural and applied sciences. The Choudhury Sarkar-Dey Fund will also support student programs and activities within those academic disciplines.
“The medal award will be given to a student in the natural and science department who has maintained a high GPA, who has promoted diversity, and who has been active in community service,” said Sarkar-Dey, who has taught at Loyola for 35 years. “My hope is this award will recognize diversity on campus and encourage the recipient and the Loyola community to be global citizens.”
Sarkar-Dey came to the U.S. from Bangladesh to attend graduate school at the Johns Hopkins University. She started teaching at Loyola in 1984 and was the first female Asian faculty member to be hired at the University.
During her tenure at Loyola, she served as the chair of department of mathematics and statistics and takes pride in the Jesuit mission. Sarkar-Dey retired from Loyola at the end of the 2018-19 academic year.
“Dipa always says that Loyola took a chance on her. With this gift, she is showing the same trust in us,” said Stephen Fowl, Ph.D., dean of Loyola College of Arts and Sciences and professor of theology. “This award will have a significant impact on students in the natural and applied sciences.”
The first recipient of the Choudhury Sarkar-Dey Medal will be named in spring 2020.
- Picture this: ICERM program explores imagery of mathematics – Mirage News
- Guyanese students win top CAPE, CSEC awards – Stabroek News
- Science Hill student scores perfect 36 on ACT, looks to future in mathematics – Johnson City Press (subscription)
- Assistant Professor in Theoretical Particle Physics job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 183584 – Times Higher Education (THE)
- A math problem: How Delhi government is trying to get students to learn this subject better – The Indian Express
- CBSE Class 10 Mathematics-Basic Sample Question Paper 2020 with Solution – Jagran Josh
- Stock In The Spotlight :: PagSeguro Digital Ltd., (NYSE: PAGS) – Keep Reading
- Love Or Hate:: Clovis Oncology, Inc., (NASDAQ: CLVS) – Keep Reading
- Present Valuation:: New Residential Investment Corp., (NYSE: NRZ) – Keep Reading
- Shocking Alteration:: Workday, Inc., (NASDAQ: WDAY) – Keep Reading