Christopher P. Reisch, professor of mathematics and computer science at Jamestown Community College’s North County Center in Dunkirk, received the 2019 State University of New York Chancellor’s Award for Excellence recently.
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence recognizes consistently superior professional achievement and encourages the ongoing pursuit of excellence. A SUNY advisory committee reviewed nominations from faculty, students, and colleagues throughout the 64-campus system.
Since joining JCC’s faculty in 2000, Dr. Reisch has been recognized for his ongoing teaching and collaborative learning initiatives, making math accessible to those who found it intimidating and rewarding for students who struggled with it in the past.
He serves as co-chair of the college’s curriculum committee and chair of the Faculty Student Association board, and is a member of several college-wide committees designed to broaden JCC’s partnerships and strengthen and enhance academic standards and student performance.
Dr. Reisch, who earned bachelor’s degrees in mathematics and statistics and a master’s degree and doctorate in mathematics education at the State University of New York at Buffalo, taught previously at SUNY Buffalo and Daemen College. He has authored several textbook reviews and articles related to math education.
He is a member of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, the New York State Mathematical Association for Two-Year Colleges and the Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York State.
- Jamaican students to participate in OECD survey – Jamaica Observer
- Women who don’t know how to cook don’t know mathematics – MP – GhanaWeb
- UC Irvine algorithm solves Rubik’s Cube in just 1 second – University of California
- Scientists create Ramanujan Machine: what’s it for, why name it after him? – The Indian Express
- Migrant students immersed in engineering – Foothills Sun Gazette
- How bad is the gender diversity crisis in AI research? Study analysing 1.5million arxiv papers says it’s “serious” – Packt Hub
- For the perfect martini, thank fluid mechanics – The Science Show – ABC News
- A mathematics whizz – Midrand Reporter
- Shakuntala Devi: Numero Uno in Math Wizardry – Hindustan Times
- US-settled siblings keen to teach Madurai students math for free – Times of India