Christopher P. Reisch, professor of mathematics and computer science at Jamestown Community College’s North County Center in Dunkirk, received the 2019 State University of New York Chancellor’s Award for Excellence recently.
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence recognizes consistently superior professional achievement and encourages the ongoing pursuit of excellence. A SUNY advisory committee reviewed nominations from faculty, students, and colleagues throughout the 64-campus system.
Since joining JCC’s faculty in 2000, Dr. Reisch has been recognized for his ongoing teaching and collaborative learning initiatives, making math accessible to those who found it intimidating and rewarding for students who struggled with it in the past.
He serves as co-chair of the college’s curriculum committee and chair of the Faculty Student Association board, and is a member of several college-wide committees designed to broaden JCC’s partnerships and strengthen and enhance academic standards and student performance.
Dr. Reisch, who earned bachelor’s degrees in mathematics and statistics and a master’s degree and doctorate in mathematics education at the State University of New York at Buffalo, taught previously at SUNY Buffalo and Daemen College. He has authored several textbook reviews and articles related to math education.
He is a member of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, the New York State Mathematical Association for Two-Year Colleges and the Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York State.
- Mathematicians Have Discovered an Entirely New Way to Multiply Large Numbers – ScienceAlert
- S’wak to start teaching Science and Maths in English for Year 1 pupils – The Star Online
- #MathsWeek – Demand for DCU’s MSc in Financial Mathematics set to increase thanks to buoyant Irish economy – Dublin City University
- Students and faculty protest for math building replacement – Ubyssey Online
- GlaxoSmith Kline (GSK): Seeking AI and ML experts for data-driven drug discovery and development – Science Magazine
- Illinois Has 14 Newsweek Best STEM High Schools In 2019 – Patch.com
- Chika Ofili: 12-year-old Nigerian awarded for making mathematics easy to learn – Pulse Ghana
- The Mathematics of Malice: Why Hate Crime Stats Can’t Be Trusted – 5280 | The Denver Magazine
- Olney Junior High takes first place at TMSCA meet – Olney Enterprise
- Veteran mathematics teacher Ruth Moonesinghe announces retirement – Tiger Newspaper