MANILA, Philippines — Several Filipino students took home a total of 11 medals from three different Mathematics contests in China held in July and August.
The students won one gold, four silver, and six bronze medals at the 19th China Western Mathematics Invitational (CWMI), 18th China Girls Mathematical Olympiad (CGMO) and 16th China Southeast Mathematical Olympiad (CSMO).
“These Chinese Math contests are very hard and we congratulate our Filipino students for their triumph,” Dr. Isidro Aguilar, president of Mathematics Trainers Guild-Philippines, said in a statement.
The students who won the medals are:
19th China Western Mathematics Invitational (CWMI) held from August 11 to 16 in Zunyi City, Guizhou Province, China
- Immanuel Josiah Balete from St. Stephen’s High School (gold medal)
- William Joshua King from University of San Carlos in Cebu (silver medal)
- Charles Justin Shi from the Philippine Cultural College Caloocan (silver medal)
- Fedrick Lance Lim from Zamboanga Chong Hua High School (bronze medal)
18th China Girls Mathematical Olympiad (CGMO) held from August 10 to 15 in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- Vanessa Ryanne Julio from St. Jude Catholic School (silver medal)
- Gwyneth Margaux Tangog from Southville International School and Colleges (silver medal)
- Deanne Gabrielle Algenio from Makati Science High School (bronze medal)
- Hiraya Marcos from Philippine Cultural College-Main (bronze medal)
16th China Southeast Mathematical Olympiad (CSMO) held from July 28 to August 2 in Ji’an City, Jiangxi Province, China
- Charles Justin Shi from the Philippine Cultural College-Caloocan (bronze medal)
- Issam Wang from Manila Science High School (bronze medal)
- Stephen James Ty from Zamboanga Chong Hua High School (bronze medal)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.