Rotary International Scholarship
Hendrix College alumna Rachel Zweig ’16, a native of Fayetteville, has been awarded a $30,000 Rotary International Global Grant funded by the Rotary Foundation Mary Doyle Endowed Global Grant Scholarship Fund. This grant represents a partnership between Rotary District 6170 in Arkansas and the Rotary Club of Ede-Kernhern located in Rotary District 1560 in the Netherlands.
Zweig double-majored in chemistry and mathematics at Hendrix, spent a semester studying abroad in Chile, served as co-captain of the varsity women’s soccer team, was initiated into Phi Beta Kappa, and was a 2016-17 Fulbright Research Grantee to Spain. After her Fulbright experience, she moved to Morocco, where her immersion in agricultural life there kindled an interest in helping small-scale farmers.
Her Rotary scholarship funds will soon take her to The Netherlands to pursue a master’s degree in the Earth and Environment Program at Wageningen University.
“With the help of the Rotary scholarship, I will be able to build upon several of my long-held interests–sustainability, agriculture, helping others, working in the dirt, entrepreneurship, and learning new cultures and languages–and upon my Hendrix degrees of chemistry and mathematics (via modelling and critical thinking) to study soil chemistry and sustainable agriculture at the best agriculture university in the world,” Zweig said. “And, being a recipient of a Rotary Global Grant will allow me to participate in a global network to help further my and Rotary’s goal of service.”
After she completes her master’s degree, Zweig plans to work with small-scale farmers worldwide, with the aim of improving the productivity and the nutrient value of their crops–goals that may prove particularly crucial in the face of climate change.
NAN Profiles on 07/14/2019
Print Headline: People and Places
- Picture this: ICERM program explores imagery of mathematics – Mirage News
- Guyanese students win top CAPE, CSEC awards – Stabroek News
- Science Hill student scores perfect 36 on ACT, looks to future in mathematics – Johnson City Press (subscription)
- Assistant Professor in Theoretical Particle Physics job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 183584 – Times Higher Education (THE)
- A math problem: How Delhi government is trying to get students to learn this subject better – The Indian Express
- CBSE Class 10 Mathematics-Basic Sample Question Paper 2020 with Solution – Jagran Josh
- Stock In The Spotlight :: PagSeguro Digital Ltd., (NYSE: PAGS) – Keep Reading
- Love Or Hate:: Clovis Oncology, Inc., (NASDAQ: CLVS) – Keep Reading
- Present Valuation:: New Residential Investment Corp., (NYSE: NRZ) – Keep Reading
- Shocking Alteration:: Workday, Inc., (NASDAQ: WDAY) – Keep Reading