A federal report that measures U.S. students’ performance in reading and math found that average scores declined in the country in three out of four categories and a single one-point gain was made in the score for fourth-grade mathematics.
Known as the “Nation’s Report Card,” the analysis compares 2019 scores with results in 2017, the last time the assessment was conducted. The report was released by the National Center for Education Statistics on Wednesday and includes scores for fourth-grade reading, eighth-grade reading, fourth-grade math and eighth-grade math. A sample of students from the fourth and eighth grades participated in the assessment.
In a blog post analyzing the results, education officials found that the scores were not significantly different than a decade ago. Once again, the only exception was fourth-grade mathematics, where students made a gain over 10 years.
In Washington, here’s how students scored in all four categories:
Fourth-grade mathematics: 240, one point below the national average, and no significant change compared to 2017.
Fourth-grade reading: 220, in line with the national average, and no significant change compared to 2017 .
Eighth-grade mathematics: 286, four points higher than the national average, and no significant change compared to 2017.
Eighth-grade reading: 266, three points higher than the national average, but down eight points from 2017.
“Over the past decade, there has been no progress in either mathematics of reading performance,” Peggy Carr, an associate commissioner at the center for education statistics, said in a statement. “The lowest performing students — those readers who struggle the most — have made no progress in reading from the first NAEP administration almost 30 years ago.”
Here are the overall nationwide scores:
Fourth-grade mathematics: 241, one point higher compared to 2017
Fourth-grade reading: 220, one point lower compared to 2017
Eighth-grade mathematics: 282, one point lower compared to 2017
Eighth-grade reading: 263, three points lower compared to 2017
- Matric Exams: Technical Mathematics Paper 1 past paper 2018 – IOL
- CBSE 10th Maths sample paper 2020, exam pattern & important tips: Mathematics Basic & Mathematics Standar – Times of India
- Eskom Foundation rewards achievers in mathematics – ESI Africa
- On World Mathematics Day, Vidya Balan Promotes Shakuntala Devi Biopic with a Number Game – News18
- Second week of HSC wraps up, Bathurst students complete Mathematics exams – Western Advocate
- West Salem robotics teacher wins presidential award – Salem Reporter
- ‘Bala’: Ayushmann Khurrana and Yami Gautam’s cute love mathematics is unmissable! – Times of India
- Nappi Scholarship Awards $85,000 to 17 Hudson Valley Students – Patch.com
- 15-Year-Old Becomes India’s Youngest To Win Gold At International Maths Olympiad – The Logical Indian
- Computer science and mathematics: Equality in proof assistants based on type theory – Open Access Government