The Ministry of Education is to review the National Mathematics Programme to include how coaches are deployed.
This follows a decline in Math passes in the May/June sitting of the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) exam.
Mathematics recorded passes of 54.6 per cent, which represents a 3.2 percentage point decrease.
Minister with responsibility for Education, Karl Samuda, described the decline as worrying, arguing that the country had run out of time to improve its output in terms of the performance of students in Mathematics, adding that strength in that subject “is the basis on which we can strengthen our economic development strategy.”
He said schools with weak performance in Math will be targeted.
“The coaching system is at the root of our strategy to improve the skills and the ability of those who did not do as well, and where we detect weakness, their ability to be improved in the shortest possible time; And it is on the coaches that a lot of our results will depend next year. I’m very excited about what is going to take place by next year because as I said we are moving forward, and with this strategy, I’m very confident that we will see much better results,” he said.
Mr. Samuda said he is encouraged by passes in English Language.
CSEC passes in the subject increased by 7.4 percentage points.
“Of the 34 subjects sat, 23 showed improved pass rates over 2018. There were noted improvements in the sciences and some mathematically-related subjects. Overall, the highest percentage increase of 22.7 percentage points was in Integrated Science, which is in itself encouraging” the minister outlined.
- Trader’s Buzzers::Protech Home Medical Corp, (TSX (Venture):PTQ) – Keep Reading
- Guide To Trend Direction ::B2Gold Corp, (TSX (Toronto):BTO) – Keep Reading
- Is Stock’s Performance Impressive?:Cameco Corp, (TSX (Toronto):CCO) – Keep Reading
- Stock’s Technical Analysis ::Eldorado Gold, (TSX (Toronto):ELD) – Keep Reading
- Analysts’ Review::Thescore Inc, (TSX (Venture):SCR) – Keep Reading
- Northland Power Inc, TSX (Toronto):NPI, NPI – Keep Reading
- The 2019 CAPE scholars – Nation News
- USC student wins silver medal in China math contest – SunStar Philippines
- Bradford Grammar School 2019 A Level results – ExaminerLive
- OHIO receives $1.7 million grant to study potential treatment for skin cancer – EurekAlert