Viktor Ginzburg, professor and chair of mathematics at UC Santa Cruz, is among 52 mathematical scientists from around the world who have been named Fellows of the American Mathematical Society (AMS) for 2020.
The designation as AMS Fellow honors members of the society who have made outstanding contributions to mathematics and to the profession. Ginzburg was recognized “for contributions to Hamiltonian dynamical systems and symplectic topology and in particular studies into the existence and non-existence of periodic orbits.”
Symplectic geometry is the geometry underlying classical mechanics and is also important to quantum mechanics and low-dimensional topology. Hamiltonian systems are the natural dynamical systems arising in symplectic geometry. Ginzburg’s recent work has focused on the problem of existence of periodic orbits of Hamiltonian systems and related questions. His research has deepened understanding of connections between symplectic topology and Hamiltonian dynamics.
Ginzburg earned his Ph.D. in mathematics at UC Berkeley and joined the UCSC faculty in 1996. He received the Concours Annuel Prize from the Royal Academy of Belgium in 2016.
- Mathematicians Have Discovered an Entirely New Way to Multiply Large Numbers – ScienceAlert
- S’wak to start teaching Science and Maths in English for Year 1 pupils – The Star Online
- #MathsWeek – Demand for DCU’s MSc in Financial Mathematics set to increase thanks to buoyant Irish economy – Dublin City University
- Students and faculty protest for math building replacement – Ubyssey Online
- GlaxoSmith Kline (GSK): Seeking AI and ML experts for data-driven drug discovery and development – Science Magazine
- Illinois Has 14 Newsweek Best STEM High Schools In 2019 – Patch.com
- Chika Ofili: 12-year-old Nigerian awarded for making mathematics easy to learn – Pulse Ghana
- The Mathematics of Malice: Why Hate Crime Stats Can’t Be Trusted – 5280 | The Denver Magazine
- Olney Junior High takes first place at TMSCA meet – Olney Enterprise
- Veteran mathematics teacher Ruth Moonesinghe announces retirement – Tiger Newspaper