Kalantari Farewell Memorial Arrangements Pending
June 5, 2019
MACOMB, IL — Farewell memorial arrangements are pending for Western Illinois University Mathematics Professor and Chair Emeritus Iraj Kalantari, who passed away June 2 in Chicago.
He retired from WIU in May 2018 after 40 years of service. Kalantari had served as department chair since 1999. Kalantari started his career at Western Illinois University in 1978, and was granted tenure in 1982. He held posts at the University of California at Santa Barbara and Cornell University, where he received his Ph.D. in mathematics in 1976. Kalantari earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin.
He has received three outstanding faculty awards from WIU, a researcher of the year award from Sigma Xi Society and an outstanding researcher award from the College of Arts and Sciences. Each year, the Department of Mathematics hosted a Mathematics Teachers Conference on the WIU-Macomb campus, and for many years, Kalantari served as the conference host and emcee.
In Spring 2018, WIU hosted the Symbolic Logic Conference, which Kalantari co-coordinated and served as a member of the conference planning committee. He delivered the 2015 University Last Lecture and the 2009 University Hallwas Lecture. Kalantari had presented at numerous professional conferences over the years, as well as authored and co-authored numerous articles in professional publications. In 2003, Kalantari was one of two educators on an international team of eight mathematicians who organized the Logic, Algebra and Arithmetic Conference at The Institute of Studies in Theoretical Physics and Mathematics in Tehran, Iran, Kalentari’s hometown.
For more information, visit AJCFSOD.com.
- Reisch receives SUNY Chancellor’s Award | News, Sports, Jobs – Evening Observer
- An overall 2nd place for Malta in an International Mental Mathematics Challenge – Malta Independent Online
- DU Admissions 2019: Mathematics Must In Best Of Four Subjects For Admission Into Eco(H); JMC, Stephen’s Stick To Old Rule – Swarajya
- Agami Education Foundation holds teachers’ training on Teaching Mathematics by Olympiad Technique – Dhaka Tribune
- 2nd place for Malta in international Mental Mathematics Challenge – Newsbook
- Darlington pupils among most-skilled mathematics in the UK – Darlington and Stockton Times
- Women and minority faculty in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) – Open Access Government
- The messy mathematics of British Columbia’s CleanBC plan – Business in Vancouver
- All Limerick student’s hard work adds up to him winning top mathematics award in Ireland – Limerick Leader
- CMU-Q researchers explore the mathematics of personalised medicine – The Peninsula Qatar