Daniel Anderson, a 2006 Master of Arts in Teaching graduate of Union Graduate College, which is now Clarkson University’s Capital Region Campus, has been awarded the Presidential Award for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching.
The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) are the highest honors bestowed by the United States government specifically for K-12 science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and computer science teaching.
Anderson is currently in his third year as a math and computer science teacher at Shenendehowa High School in Clifton Park, NY.
“I’m very humbled by receiving this award. I’ve learned so much from so many great teachers across the country, and I deeply appreciate my colleagues and how they’ve helped me develop as a teacher,” Anderson said. “Through my students’, colleagues’, and administrators’ feedback I’ve been able to try things out in the classroom and see if they improve the student learning.”
Anderson is the third graduate from what is now Clarkson’s Capital Region Campus to receive this award since 2016. Previous award winners from the Master of Arts in Teaching program include Dan Mattoon and Amanda Zullo, who both won in 2016.
“I love being a teacher because every year is different and there is always a way to improve your teaching practices,” Anderson said. “Each course is different, each class is different, and each week is different. Technology changes and opens new doors, but which of those doors are the best to go through?”
- John Tate, UT professor and winner of top prize in mathematics, dies at 94 – Ahora Si
- On Mathematics Field Day, NC State College of Education Students Learn to Think Outside the Box to Teach Math – NC State College of Education
- ICERM panel highlights intersection of mathematics, art – The Brown Daily Herald
- Math Beats Magic Every Time in the Masters of Mathematics – Bleeding Cool News
- Honors Day Rewards Student Excellence – News and Events – Kalamazoo College
- PrecisionLender, founded by NC School of Science and Mathematics grad, acquired in $510M deal – WRAL Tech Wire
- Students get to meet mathematics wizard – New Straits Times
- Ricardo Salinas Reaffirms His Commitment to Education, as Sponsor of the Mexican Math Olympics – GlobeNewswire
- Early Career Mathematics Teachers’ Uses of Technology to Teach Mathematics – Appalachian State University
- Francis Su Will Present “Mathematics for Human Flourishing” at the 2019 Phi Beta Kappa Visiting Scholar Lecture – Southern Newsroom